VIDEO: Cupid Tops Thompson in Commission Race
With all precincts reporting, the 35-year-old law and public administration student defeated the three-term incumbent in Tuesday's Democratic runoff.
Lisa Cupid will likely be the only new member of the Cobb Board of Commissioners after November's election, as well as its only Democrat.
With all 35 precincts reporting 4,053 votes, the 35-year-old law and public administration student at Georgia State gained 75.6 percent in Tuesday's Democratic runoff for the Southwest Cobb District 4 commission seat. The incumbent, real estate broker Woody Thompson, had the remaining 24.4 percent.
Since no Republicans qualified for the seat, it appears that Cupid will be the only candidate on the ballot in November, nearly guaranteeing her the victory.
Set to graduate in December, Cupid, of Austell, is the community facilitator for the Austell Community Partnership. She also has a mechanical engineering degree from Georgia Tech.
Her background includes work with metro Atlanta’s 15 Chambers of Commerce, in the Governor’s Office, and as a policy analyst researcher.
Cupid moved to South Cobb 10 years ago when she married her Georgia Tech sweetheart, Craig Cupid. They have two sons, 3-year-old Nehemiah and 1-year-old Noah.
Thompson, 65, first joined the commission as a Republican in 1997 to 2004, when he was defeated by Democrat Annette Kesting. Switching to the Democratic party, Thompson then beat her in 2008.
In the July 31 primary, Cupid gained 40 percent of the vote to Thompson's 27 percent. They were among a field of six Democrats, so since neither gained 50 percent plus one, they moved on to a runoff as the top two vote-getters.
Check back with Patch for continuing updates on the runoff elections.