By Lowell Lovinggood
For many years, Powder Springs relied on Miss Roberta Murray with keeping up with our local history. She was directly related to some of the pioneer families of the city and had a great knowledge of local history. Miss Murray was born in 1888 and died in 1972.
Miss Sarah Frances Miller, a lifelong resident of Powder Springs and a retired school teacher from the Cobb County School District, had for many years been interested in preserving the history of Powder Springs for future generations.
In 1982, with the hard work of Miss Miller and many others, The Seven Springs Historical Society was organized. In 1985, Powder Springs, with the urging of Miss Miller, acquired a house that was scheduled to be razed for a new telephone exchange on Atlanta Street.
The house was saved, cut in half, moved to Powder Springs Park and reassembled to look like the log cabin at the Kolb Farm on Powder Springs Road. It would become the home for the Seven Springs Museum.
The museum, which was officially opened that year, is to this day operated by Historical Society volunteers.
A vast majority of artifacts displayed in our museum portray life from the time of Indian settlements. Relevant Civil War history, a significant collection of pictures of pioneer families, and many donated items used by families of early settlers of Powder Springs have been carefully preserved and organized.
Please come and visit the Seven Springs Museum located at 3901 Brownsville Road in Powder Springs. The telephone number is 678-567-5611, and the hours of operation are: Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 to 4 p.m.
Lowell Lovinggood is president of the Seven Springs Museum. He can be reached at email@example.com.