in Powder Springs is set to host its annual Memorial Day ceremony on Monday at noon at the 's Veterans Memorial.
"The public is cordially invited to join us in honoring the many soldiers, sailors and airmen who have died while defending the freedoms America holds so dear in the hearts of its citizens," a release from Post 294 says.
In case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be held at the center's community room behind .
The program will feature:
- The 's color guard
- Patriotic music by sisters Aisha and Nikkei Bryant, actresses, singers and models who perform together as NU M-MAGE and have movie credits such as We Are Marshall, as well as various theater productions
- Keynote speaker Lt. Col. Gregg McAfee, an executive officer from North Georgia Military College who has more than 25 years of service in the Army as a paratrooper and helicopter pilot
- Comments by Powder Springs Mayor Pat Vaughn
- The laying of a wreath in honor of fallen comrades
- A rendering of taps by Cody Kirkpatrick of Boy Scouts Troop 1294, sponsored by Post 294
- At 2 p.m., weather permitting, Post 294 will conduct a flag retirement ceremony at its home at 3282 Florence Road
For more information on the event, call Post Commander Bob Anderson at 404-644-8189 or Post 294 at 770-439-0956.
The Powder Springs Veterans Memorial was dedicated on Veterans Day 2001. The idea for the momument came from a few Legion members, and it was built using public and private funds following a successful drive.
Post 294 and the city of Powder Springs jointly care for the monument and the surrounding grounds.
See more on American Legion Post 294: