Coffee and Conversation with Four Authors
- When: Saturday, March 23, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Where: Daily Grind Coffee House and Cafe, 3960 Mary Eliza Trce NW, Marietta
- What: Join four Georgia authors, Hildie McQueen, Western Romance; Lindi Peterson, Contemporary Inspirational Romance; Ciara Knight, Young Adult; and Susan Carlisle, Medical Romance for coffee and conversation. There will be door prizes and free pastries. Listen to a five-minute read from each author, ask questions and mingle. Author signing will follow event.
Tour Shoupade Park - 2013 Phoenix Flies
- When: Saturday, March 23, Sunday, March 24.
- Where: , 3444 Cobb Pkwy SE, Atlanta, GA
- What: The River Line Historic Area’s Roberta Cook along with Mike Shaffer of the Kennesaw State University Civil War Center, will host tours of Shoupade Park. Reservations are required due to limited parking. Shoupade Park is a historic preservation site featuring two of the nine remaining “Shoupades” designed by Confederate Brigadier General Francis Asbury Shoup during the Civil War.
- Additional info can be found at the Atlanta Preservation Center’s website: atlantapreservationcenter.com/PF_Decennial.
- When: Saturday, March 23: 5K starts at 7:30 a.m.; Fun Run starts at 8:30 a.m.; Registration begins at 6:30 a.m.
- Where: Marietta Square
- What: The course is one loop starting and ending at the Square. 5K Categories: 13 & Under, 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 & Over. The run benefits Marietta Mentoring For Leadership, which aims to create meaningful, long-term one-on-one mentor/student relationships that inspire and nurture Marietta’s students, enabling them to achieve academic and career goals.
- Entry Fee: $25 for 5K; $15 Fun Run or Tot Trot
"One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
- When: March 21, 22 and 23 at 8 p.m.
- Where: The Alley Stage, 11 Anderson St SE, Marietta, GA
- What: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest pits Randle Patrick McMurphy (a convict who has feigned psychosis so that he can spend the final months of his sentence at a mental institution) against Nurse Ratched (the icy head nurse of the ward), who believes that rules must be followed without exception. A band of crazies gets half-inspired, half destroyed by McMurphy’s rebellion and the question remains…was it worth it anyway?
- Cost: $15
Community Recycling Event at North Cobb High
- When: Saturday, March 23, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: 3400 Old 41 Hwy NW, Kennesaw, GA
- What: North Cobb High School is hosting a community-wide electronics recycling day in the school parking lot at Blue Springs Road and Old Highway 41. Funds generated from the recycled items benefit the NCHS PTSA.
- Items accepted for recycling: Cellphones, desktops, laptops, servers, hard drives, keyboards, mice, cordless phones, routers, stereo equipment, PDAs, circuit boards, LCD monitors, other electronics and metals. Televisions and CRT monitors will be accepted, but there will be a $5 per TV or monitor charge.
Southern Museum’s ‘Museum Night’
- When: Saturday, March 23, from 4 to 7 p.m.
- Where: Southern Museum of Civil War & Locomotive History, 2829 Cherokee St NW, Kennesaw, GA
- What: The museum is celebrating its 10th birthday with an evening of family-friendly activities aimed at offering visitors a unique look at the museum and its exhibits. During the event, guests will have the rare opportunity to climb aboard the General locomotive made famous during the Civil War’s Great Locomotive Chase.
- Cost: $10 for adult museum members; $15 for adult non-members; $7 for children between the ages of 4 and 12. Museum members can purchase a family pack of tickets (for two adults and up to four children) for $25; the family pack is $35 for non-members.